I think a truly beneficial internship experience is one that not only educates, but also sets one on a course to continue to learn. I firmly believe the Kalu Yala Internship fits the bill.
I highly recommend the experience for two main reasons (excluding content of study). Firstly, the internship being in Panama provides a dynamic opportunity to research and implement your ideas. Secondly, the path of a KY intern is drastically different from a traditional internship.
The backdrop of Panama provides a complementary setting for exploring ideas and principles related to sustainability. It’s a country that is on the fast track to development and at the same time provides the raw opportunity that entrepreneurs and founders can seize.
Path of a typical corporate intern:
- Early Mornings at the office in a regulated schedule
- Preparing daily data reports for a full-timer.
- Educationally “taking the scraps”
- Running Errands
- Working OT
Path of a typical KY intern:
- Learning a new language and culture
- A consistent course of modern and relevant education related to Sustainable Development
- Off-roading to camp in a pristine landscape
- A full time Director and budget allocated to your work-study
- Flexible Schedule that stresses experience over in-class instruction
As my internship with Kalu Yala in Panama has come to a close I can truthfully say it has been a pleasurable and challenging educational experience.
For those of you looking for an internship that is out of the box, consider applying. It will be worth it.